I wouldn't want it coming after me even if I were on the ground let alone a ladder!  Most birds will defend their nest.  Get an outdoor speaker, mount it as close as you can get it to the nest and play a looped recording of a yapping chihuahua.  Birds don't stay around where they can't listen and talk to each other, even anti-social ones like raptors I think wouldn't like it.  These are a world-wide species, why is it protected?