When I did installs every day I would use the same 5/16" drill bit for 6-12 months.  I know I could have sharpened them, but it was easier to just get another one at Lowes.

IMO drill slower so it doesn't get too hot.  When you're going through metal set the drill on the lowest speed and use moderate pressure.  You want to see little flakes coming off the metal rather than dust.  If the metal is thick then put some oil on the bit to conduct heat away.  WD-40 will work in a pinch, or a little can of 3-in-1 oil with the dropper tip.  Even on wood, don't go full speed unless it's a short hole.  When the wood is real chewy you might have to back out and in to clear debris and let the tip rest.  If you're getting smoke you're trashing that bit.  Aluminum siding is so thin I can't believe that's what ruins your bits.