I wouldn’t say it’s a wasted effort on cars. I can warm up to the idea. Think
of it like you being a contractor building a house and you only having one
battery pack for your cordless drill. You have to stop production and wait
until the battery is charged if you don’t have a swappable battery. If however
you have spare swappable battery packs, well then you can keep moving by just
swapping the battery and recharge the other at the same time.

If the battery pack power density gets to the point where you just have all the
cars allocate the space(s) to fit a more universal battery pack or packs, then
you can just pull up to a chagrining/swap station, do the swap thing and be on
your way. That concept is one part of the workable solution that I could get
behind. That would also allow to use off peak grid time to build up capacity
for the transportation needs at peak times by recharging the depleted packs
that have been put back in to the recharging ports. Kind of like the same
freedom we enjoy with the storage of energy using fossil fuels. They do
something similar with the 20 pound propane bottle exchanges at many
convenience stores these days. Heck it would even allow you to set up energy
points where there isn’t grid capacity enough or even available at all. Put a
good amount of solar panels at the charge/exchange stations and I like the idea
even better.

But the huge problem with that is getting all of the car manufacturers to agree
to do so and standardize on the battery size, form factor…. I could see a
pickup truck having slots to put more than one battery pack under the bed and
really give great range.

Thank you,

Brian Webster