Thanks, I’ll have to keep it in mind.  That price point and port mix is not
that far away from Arista, but no matter how much capital a company has they
always want to sharpen the pencil.

With an L3 switch the thing that we always have to keep in mind is which
features don’t use the ASIC because that’s what will bite you later.  Do you
happen to know how that Ufispace S9510 is in that regard?  Have you encountered
things that hit the CPU?

This may be a tangent, but a Juniper MX204 is hard to compare to an L3 switch.
I’m sure you’re right that Ufispace switch can hit the throughput, but the
routing engine in the MX204 can do 1.2Tbps and supports the full set of
features of the platform.  If I populate the MX204 with 12x 100Gbps ports then
I can expect wire speed to all ports simultaneously no matter what features I
use.  The MX10003 has I think 2 of those routing engines (So 2.4Tbps).  It has
1+1 control plane redundancy.  It has 6 power supplies….and with our current
configuration I think we need 3 to operate so 3+3 redundancy there.  The
routing engines are basically 2+0 and we achieve redundancy by using MLAG to
our POP ring and splitting our upstream connections between the two routing
engines.  I believe we paid a quarter mil for the MX10003, but it’s the only
router we need for the foreseeable future for a metro area with 250,000 people
in it, and it would be hard to have a hardware failure that would actually hurt
us.  In another market we have the MX10008….same routing engines, but more of
them (I want to say 6, but I’m not going to check right now).

That said we’re well aware of the savings with L3 switches.  And often the
answer to redundancy is just have 2 or 3 of them and more or less achieve the
same thing as you did with the big fancy chassis.

I still like Mikrotik.  I miss the simplicity.  There’s zero chance we’ll ever
use them here though.

-Adam