Since I like to give too much detail:

Range

The TDM timing gives you a “maximum differential reach”.  I’ve read that it’s
20km on GPON, 40km on XGS-PON, and 100km on NG-PON2.  I haven’t read the actual
ITU specs, but those numbers were touted to be the “standard”.  Whether that’s
true or not: In the real world, our Nokia platform lets us configure both GPON
and XGS to 40km differential.  The “differential reach” is the difference
between the nearest and furthest ONT.  So if our nearest ONT is 20km down the
line, then the furthest could be 60km.  Someone said XGS could go 100km.  That
might mean their vendor lets them configure a higher differential reach, or
that might be assuming the first splitter is 60km away.  It’s a true statement
either way, but at 100km it’ll be at the razor’s edge of the link budget.

The loss from distance is something like 0.2-0.5db/Km, it depends on the
wavelength. It’s worse if the fiber is very old because manufacturing methods
have improved the attenuation.  If it’s old plant you’d have to get the part
numbers off the cable and look up specs.  I’m not sure how old it has to be to
matter.  I have not seen fiber old enough where that mattered, so that’s an
academic topic for me.

Fusion splices can be as low as 0.02dB attenuation, but I think the typical
standard is 0.2dB or better is acceptable.  Connectors vary, but you can say
0.5dB and it shouldn’t be worse than that.

Most of your losses come from splitters, and that’ll be exactly what you’d
expect.  3dB every time you cut it in half, plus maybe 0.5-1 for insertion
loss.

On C+ optics you start with a tx power of +6-+7dBm.  Receiver sensitivity at
the ONT could vary, but -28dBm is typical.  The uplink wavelength has more
attenuation, but the ONT has a little more Tx power and the OLT has a little
more sensitivity.  So if it’s good in one direction it’s probably good in the
other one.  We target -20 so we have plenty of margin.  So we have some room to
cut it a little closer when we have to, like adding a splitter for a duplex
that was originally counted as a 1 family home during our planning, or losses
from repairs, or whatever.  The spec sheet for our everyday ONT says
sensitivity is -28.5 at BER e10-3, which is an acceptable BER with FEC enabled.
 So in perfect conditions with a straight shot from the OLT to the ONT and no
splices I could get 118km.  I don’t think they sell 118km reels, so that’s not
realistic, but 100km figure isn’t crazy.  Realistically you won’t do that
because you’ll have splitters.  If you were going to dedicate a whole fiber at
that distance to one customer then you’d probably do Ethernet with long range
transceivers.  With that much plant dedicated to them they’re hopefully paying
a mint.

So yeah.  You could design with small nodes close to the customer, or you could
design with one awesome POP reaching several towns.  Either way is doable.

Redundancy

It’s possible.  Google search for PON Type B and Type C protection.

There are some fun little diagrams from Huawei here:

https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/hcip-access-01-gpon-type-b-protection-technology/thread/667281720950538240-667213871523442688

https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/hcip-access-02-gpon-type-c-protection-technology/thread/667281974273916929-667213871523442688

I have never done it, and I don’t know who does do it.  I’m not even sure if
our Nokia equipment supports it.  You’ll spend twice the money on OLT capacity,
and you’d lose ~3.5dB from the link budget to split the path to two OLT’s.
You’d consequently spend twice as much on power and all that goes with that
(battery backup, generator capacity, air conditioning, space).  The extra 1x2
split could potentially cut the number of subs on the circuit by as much as
half.  I haven’t done the math to confirm whether it’s worth it or not, but on
the surface it sounds like it wouldn’t be.

We’ve had bad transceivers and bad line cards, but not very often.  In the
market I’m responsible for I’ve had 3 transceivers fail in 3 years, and there
are over a thousand deployed here.  I can live with 0.3% failures on that time
scale.  I had one bad line card, but it had a dead port out of the box.  I
haven’t had one fail in service yet.  Power failures happen, but when we’re
building a POP to serve 12,000 households we’re not going to skimp on
batteries.  So redundancy would be nice to have, and someone must do it, but
I’d have a hard time making the business case to my superiors.  If we were
charging top dollar for an enterprise/SMB service that might be a way to
differentiate and justify the higher price.