XGS-PON can theoretically run at 100km, though 60km is about the practical
limit we have seen,   With a active cabinet in the center and a 60km reach you
can have an effective diameter of ~70 miles.   With slack, routing, sag, etc.
50 miles is a possibility for cabinet spacing.

In the rural areas we use a 10 mile radius with active cabinets 20 miles apart.
   The active cabinet feeds unpowered splitters either in splice cases along
the way, and also feeds passive splitter cabinets in the pockets of density
(subdivisions, villages, towns).    If the density in a village becomes high
enough (or grows) the passive cabinet can be changed to an active cabinet and
the fiber previously used to feed splitters becomes your 100G feed into the
cabinet.

The cabinets that are 20 miles apart have a ring (well, more of a mesh) feed of
100G links to them to provide redundancy, but there is no protection for the
PON customers on the passive side.   There are ways to provide for PON
redundancy including dual fed PON’s with a live / standby link, but it’s
significantly more complex to engineer (and IMHO not worth the complexity)
given the overall reliability and simplicity of GPON.   For a high value
customer that needs redundancy active fiber is simpler to deal with for
creating redundancy.

Mark