PON is one port at your end and then goes through splitters that reduce
light and add ports to end up at customer ONTs.  1:128 is pretty short
range and high customer count - we could never do that in a rural plant
(5-15 miles).  Maybe 1:64 but that's about the limit.  There is NO
redundancy in PON.  Best you could do is 2x32 or whatever splitters which
is where you feed the downstream fiber with two PON ports.  An engineer
from Metronet told me they did that but no one could ever answer why
(technically or operationally).   Think like you have an AP on a tower
feeding 32 customers.  What are the chances you have an AP right below it
with the same SSID/PSK/frequency for the customers to connect to if the
first AP goes down?

Think of Active E like a bunch of dumb switches.  You have a 48 port switch
that goes to 48 customers using 48 fibers.  If the fiber feeding the switch
goes down, it can go to a different fiber/uplink port.