oops I misremembered...   15 SECOND pass-off time...

On 5/6/24 1:10 PM, Robert wrote:
If you look at the orbits the density of the non-polar paths get higher at higher latitudes so when there were only 200-500 sats in orbit, you got a lot more sat "hits" looking farther north.   The pass off time from one sat to another is much lower than you might expect when the sat is actually visible for 4-10 minutes in the 100 degree arc that the CPE observes.  On the order of 1-3 minutes pass-off time.    Now that they are at 5->10K sats you can look anywhere and get massive number of hits in that 1-3 minutes. They didn't start polar orbits until about a year ago to hit Alaska and higher latitudes.   They needed the cross sat relays to work before they could reach decent ground stations from that north/south.   Looking north doesn't help anymore except to optimize avoiding the Clark orbits.

On 5/6/24 12:52 PM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
I presumed they were in polar orbits.
Google shows a bunch of criss cross inclined orbits.
I don’t see how looking in the northern direction would help.
*From:* Robert
*Sent:* Monday, May 6, 2024 1:37 PM
*To:* af@af.afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Interesting (to me)
Well, as I said, you have to take _everything_ she writes with the understanding that she is an alarmist and a promoter.   I would be pretty sure she got paid by both T-Mobile and Hiboost, & I have seen others say the same problem she mentioned about Weboost but both times it was proven to be a bad setup.   ( I have weboost but don't need it )

Starlink has to avoid transmitting into the Clark Belt, they are using the same frequencies.  So they use the northern hemisphere.   If you aren't on the equator, your dish can be flat and avoid the Clark Belt no problemo.  Beam steering decides the pointing and tilt is just a hangover of the earlier constraints..

Before the number of sats reached where they are now, they tended to use a higher latitude center of focus for the sats because you get more density at the northern inclinations of the orbits.   That is going away rapidly.   I flat mount my dish in the shower bubble of my RV for mobile use.   It shows no obstructions when not under an actual obstruction.   It now takes a pretty high/close cliff to obstruct the dish and we are seeing the latest s/w doing much better with a smaller sky area and probably 15 degrees higher in latitude than in the past.  Some people have seen their dishes pointing east and west and, amazingly, south.  I suspect that was because Starlink was testing the relay system on them. The latest version of the dish is supposed to support dual beams from what people are reading in the software analysis.  It comes with a fixed stand that only tilts it about 15-20 degrees off vertical.  The understanding is that the tilt is now just for snow/water shedding.

Starlink has busy hour lower priority for _mobile_ users.  It puts the mobile users behind the fixed users for b/w.  _Not_ throttled.   Lower speeds during 6-10pm are for the same reasons our networks experience it and Starlink has loaded on the customers way heavier than we probably would.

It takes a _LOT_ of rain to reduce the performance of Starlink.   I've seen no issues with 1/4-1/2"/hr rain. Granted that is rare in N. NV.  But they are transmitting with a lot of power in both directions.   I got my first solid disconnection during a massive storm in TX when we were there for the eclipse.   That was enough rain that it was piling up in the street.  I didn't check my weather station as we were headed for a storm shelter.