As far as something newer/better than SNMP, there is Netconf (RFC6241).  In a
nutshell, it uses HTTP to carry XML data with the queries and commands.  It’s
“push” rather than “pull”, so you put the NMS URL in the device rather than
adding every device to the NMS.  In theory, if your NMS server blows up you can
stand up a new one on the same IP address and all the devices start talking to
it like nothing happened.  And (hopefully) your devices can get the NMS URL via
a DHCP option or RADIUS attribute or whatever so you don’t actually have to
enter it on every device.  It’s also supposed to be lighter on the network and
lighter on the devices because they don’t have to provide every value in every
polling interval; they can just update the NMS with whatever changed from the

So there are a lot of positive aspects to the new way, but the problem is SNMP
has been around for over 3 decades and you have a huge installed base of
software and hardware using it.  I believe Nokia (Altiplano) uses Netconf, and
I know the Telrad LTE stuff did as well…..and in both cases they chose NOT to
implement SNMP on the device at all.  Nokia, I believe, provides some kind
middleware so you can have a machine taking SNMP queries and translating it to
talk to the NetConf server.  I’m fuzzy on that piece because I’ve only seen
Powerpoint about it.  Telrad just said screw SNMP.  My point being that the two
Netconf implementations I know about both opted for Netconf only, rather than
keeping SNMP for backward compatibility.

Email alerts sounds like the easy way up until it doesn’t work.  It seems like
these days you always run into anti-spam features.  I’d suggest if you do that
you have the device send from an email address on the same domain and same host
as your company email and ask the provider to (1) exempt that sender from spam
and virus scanning, (2) dev/null any incoming mail for that address, and (3)
set the password to never expire.  Optionally (4) have them only accept mail
from that sender if it comes from your IP addresses.   If it accepts incoming
mail you’ll eventually end up with infinite gigs of backscatter.  Also, fully
expect your IT people to delete that account sometimes.  This may sound stupid,
but it happens. Some well meaning new guy will review email accounts and find
this one account that nobody has ever logged into and delete it assuming it’s a
dead account.  Oh….write down the password somewhere because you’ll need to set
in every device and you’ll need to be able to put it back in when the new IT
guy deletes it.  If you ever have to reset it then obviously you have to touch
every device to update them.

If they’ll let you send without auth that avoids any password related
hardships, but then item (4) in my list is no longer optional.

You’ll have to cope with all the same issues when your NMS sends email, but you
cope with it on one server instead of 1000 devices.

My final comment about email alerts is you don’t know when they stop working.
If the NMS can’t poll the device with SNMP you’ll get an alert about that, but
if the device can’t send an email that looks the same as if there just aren’t
any problems right now.  You’ll find out when something bad happens and you
realize you didn’t get the alert.

So yeah…..SNMP is what I’d do.  Maybe Netconf someday when there’s wider
support for it.

For reading dry contacts with SNMP I certainly like Packetflux, and we bought
lots of SiteMonitors in our WISP days.  There’s also controlbyweb.com,
sometimes they typically cost more than a SiteMonitor, but sometimes they’ll
have one box that gives you the right mix of contacts whereas you needed a
Sitemonitor + Expansion to get the same thing with Packetflux.

-Adam