Since I don't have kids, and am 20 years post college,  Does STEAM replace STEM?  You only have to choose 1 of the letters?  I thought they were all supposed to work in conjunction.  I went to a small liberal arts school, and I wouldn't be the person that I am now without having some of the Arts training that I did. Physics and CS were my majors, but I also could have had a minor in music pretty easy.  I'm way more rounded than kids that went to a large college where they only took degree specific classes.

I know a story of a person that did a 3 years at a small LA college, then 2 Years at a large university, to get a BS and an EE degree.  When he was at the university, other kids in engineering who were juniors and seniors, couldn't even spell check a paper, or complete sentences.    He had a good side business proof reading their work  (This was before word processors did all that for you)

I recently told a parent of a kid soon to graduate high school, that they should look at sending the not-straight-A-and-Unkonwn-Career-path kid into a trade instead of college.  The was the WRONG answer for a suburban Chicago parent to hear.