I’ve never had a problem using yum and CentOS, you are right that the packages
don’t tend to be latest and greatest. You can added repos that support CentOS
5/6 with the packages you are looking for, simplifying the process. My
preference is still to use CentOS 5, the GNOME and KDE interfaces are both
laughable on 6 (sad that the interface + packages have moved so closely to a
desktop computer anymore). I’m not one to use the minimal install, but then
again I selectively select the packages I desire to get the machine going and
then add/remove software once it’s configured with an internet connection.

That One Guy, the honest and absolutely EASIEST way to setup BIND is grab
CentOS 5, then install the Server package BIND. Additionally adding to the
super-easiness, install a package called “system-config-bind”. You can use the
search function to find it easy enough. Once everything is installed, go to
terminal through the GUI and run “system-config-bind” by just typing and hit
enter. It will bring up a pretty nifty and easy interface to allow you to
customize a lot of your DNS server. Anything super-granular and you will need
to run through manually editing config files, but this is enough to get brand
new machines up and running.

We don’t run a slave-master setup so I can’t help you there. Both of ours are
listed as authorative caching open recursion servers (ie they are both Masters)
with an ACL that allows only our 3 /22’s to talk to them via udp.

AFAIK the package for system-config-bind is still non-existent as of this
writing for CentOS 6.

-Tim