cPanel is a single machine/VM web hosting platform. About the only thing that can be clusterized currently with cPanel is DNS, and I don't use it. Actually, their DNS-ONLY product is free.

We bought our one-time license in 2002, I want to say it was like $2500. Then they got rid of the one-time licensing, but ours is grandfathered and updates cost $180 or $200 a year. Not a bad investment.

Anyway, I've hand-edited zone files and named.conf using vi since, like.. forever. It's really not that hard. I wrote some very simple (i.e. crude) bash scripts that let me easily insert new zones and then restart named.