I agree to an extent, however there are some cases where I think it
makes sense.  For a platform that's a few $k, totally agree.  But some
of these high end systems support a ton of telco/celco derived
features that are not part of the standard transport feature set we
care about and that we'll never use and I don't want to have to pay
for the development and support costs for these features.   Things
like e-sync, incredibly complex QoS mechanisms, blah blah are
expensive to develop and I can see charging extra for it for the
limited uptake instead of rolling that cost into all sales.

On the other hand, having to pay for a speed key to go faster than
10Mbps or use ACM is frustrating.  In an ideal world we wouldn't have
to deal with this, but as a product develops and has a long life
cycle, these kinds of things are going to happen.