My wife and I like walking around downtown areas at night when we vacation
and here as well.  Never had any issues other than a dog attacked us.  Size
10 1/2 steel toe hoot sent him running.   I always carry a knife and my
walking stick.  Not much against a gun but it gives the wife some
comfort.    Take a self defense cane crash course...you can defend yourself
and look dapper at same time.

Jaime Solorza