There's an old, insightful joke about "what is the best price to sell
barrels of oil for", which states that it's something like "$100, $100,
$100, $100, $20, $20, $100, $100, $100....."

At $100 everyone is eager to turn up production and do things like
hydraulic fracturing.   At $20, there's a lot of hurt in those same
industries.  There is a lot of political and economic force in the ability
to effectively increase and decrease the rarity of a commodity, and as a
side effect, it's price, with a turn of a valve.   With additional US
sources coming online, and OPEC deciding not to cut production, there's now
a glut in the market.   The question is ... at what level is this
sustainable stateside?   I haven't seen a good analysis of the impact of
these lower crude prices on domestic production and more importantly our
willingness to invest in growth of our production capabilities.

Personally, I have mixed feelings.   I like the price of gas when I get to
the pump, but I also sell into the oil industry, which I sure hope
continues to drill wells, since it's very good for my bottom line.

-forrest