Now this is an excellent question, and the truth is with the first release of
LTE, the similarities are greater than their differences, but that is where it
ends. There is no more R&D on the WiMAX standard. Period. It is done. Gray and
Mo's jobs at the WiMAX Forum is to eliminate their jobs. LTE on the other end
is at the front end of its life cycle and just last week Nathan Stooke shared
that he discovered $15B is being spent in LTE R&D PER YEAR at this point.

Second, WiMAX was mostly a dream for mass and an ecosystem that never happened.
I could speak for hours on the issues why it failed and mostly none of them
were technical. LTE, by contrast has already won. There is no more UMTS, no
more CMDA, no more GSM, at least not as we knew them. All have collapsed into
LTE. Now we even hear the (loud) rumblings of LTE rolling into 5 GHz for mobile
offload, and my rantings about it as a fixed solution.

On basic tech things, WiMAX caps at 10 MHz channels and limits per user rates.
LTE offers 20 MHz channels and uncaps user rates. Moving forward, LTE pulls
away very fast in bits/tone efficiency and adds features never even appearing
on the roadmap of WiMAX (like CoMP...wait until you learn about that
tomorrow...imagine your own noise turning in to something that gets multiplexed
to IMPROVE your network!).

Patrick Leary
M 727.501.3735
[cid:image003.png@01D0568A.C86A9C50]<http://mkt2.us/TelrdNet>