Or put another way...if he's using better equipment but doesn't know how to use it, then you'll still win.

I have 22 towers with over a hundred UBNT APs in a valley 11 miles wide, built over the top of a synced Canopy network. I take about 10 customers a week off of their 450 platform and we are constantly told that the difference is night and day better on our network. Careful spectrum management and proper AP loading wins over sync every time.