Whoever presented to the board had a glossy enough brochure with all the right buzzwords in it.

On 5/21/2015 2:08 PM, Rory Conaway wrote:

Vivint is kind of the worst of every idea. They spend a boatload on licensed spectrum, an excessive amount on backhaul radios and co-location costs, all of which requires a high-density of users. Then they deploy a non-TDMA mesh protocol so that when the density starts to increase, they cause their own interference. The 5GHz technology they are deploying can't support the density they need to make this profitable. Then when connections don't work, they deploy hacked together flat-panels to make the connection which then causes problems for other users because the flat-panel is too directional. I'm really not sure who is designing this but it reminds me of the EarthLink mesh deployments. What I can't figure out is how that design gets past a technical and financial review. This is a multi-billion dollar, international company. Somebody should have figured out that there weren't going to get 50Mbps through a mesh system consistently with vegetation and that the costs weren't going to be in line with the revenue/density.

Rory

**

*From:*Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] *On Behalf Of *Joe Falaschi
*Sent:* Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:51 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] vivint

I heard they were using this in 28GHz for BH to their micro sites:

http://cbnl.com/vectastar-gigabit-highlights

Joe Falaschi

e-vergent

On May 21, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Sterling Jacobson wrote:

I think they are sometimes 5Ghz and sometimes something else on the houses.

The backhauls appear to be the unlicensed SAF 20+GHZ stuff to nearby drops.

Most of those in Saratoga Springs are connected to CentraCom Fiber at the schools etc.

And they are doing 50Mbps for $50 or $60 depending on who you talk to.

So maybe they outperform DirectCom now, but when you guys get more fiber and for a better price they will switch.

We took over quite a few in some neighborhoods already.