My point is that the theoretical sets pot is 20 to 30mhz depending on the 
application.



Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse 
shortcuts or typos.

Rory Conaway
Triad Wireless


-------- Original message --------
From: Mathew Howard <[email protected]>
Date: 06/08/2015 12:13 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: af <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz

I kind of does, the way I understood it, that bottleneck limited you from 
really being able to do anything beyond what a 30mhz channel could support.

Now that I think about it, I have seen 40mhz perform better than 30mhz... but 
yes, that was because of RF problems, and neither one was doing anything close 
to what it would with a good link.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Josh Reynolds 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

That is a bottleneck in the system, but not relevant as far as this discussion 
goes. That has nothing to do with the 30/40MHz channel efficiency per say.

On Jun 8, 2015 8:03 AM, Rory Conaway 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
The limitation on the older xm radios was pps.  When you added a lot of small 
packets and airmax, you could drop down to as low as 40Mbps.  In the real world 
in ptmp mode. We planned for 50mhz per AP with eveything g taken into account.



Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse 
shortcuts or typos.

Rory Conaway
Triad Wireless


-------- Original message --------
From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Date: 06/08/2015 11:59 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz


This. Thought it was pretty obvious but I guess I assumed too much out of some 
on this list ;)

On Jun 8, 2015 7:33 AM, Jeremy 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
I think he is talking about using 40MHz channels on the older M series, that 
didn't have gig ports.  It was my understanding that the processor would get 
taxed as well on a 40MHz channel, making 30MHz actually work better.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Josh Luthman 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Ubnt and epmp have gig ports.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340<tel:937-552-2340>
Direct: 937-552-2343<tel:937-552-2343>
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Jun 8, 2015 11:20 AM, "Josh Reynolds" 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

I don't know how epmp does it.

For UBNT, a 30mhz channel is just a "fat" 20mhz channel in the atheros chip. 
Single operation. For  a 40mhz channel, it's really two 20s, meaning radio 
operations are ran twice. Loss in efficiency, also marred by the lack of 
gigabit port.

On Jun 8, 2015 7:13 AM, Mathew Howard 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
I've never seeing much difference in performance on the ubnt M series between 
30mhz and 40mhz channels, so yes, I would say that is true... but I'm not sure 
how much applies to ePMP - they do have a much a faster processor and on a 
software level they are very different.

So far, I have been running all of our ePMP APs on 20mhz channels and PTP links 
on 40mhz or 20mhz, depending on how much capacity they need. I haven't really 
seen much need to go down to 10mhz channels with ePMP.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Shayne Lebrun 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
I seem to recall that with the M series, at least, a 30 mhz channel works 
'better' than a 40 because the 40 is really two 20 mhz channels bonded 
together, where a 30 mhz channel is a 30 mhz channel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>] On Behalf 
Of Rory Conaway
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:32 PM
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz

I'm not that familiar with the ePMP's yet but I can tell you some things that 
we saw with Ubiquiti.  One is that channel width does not scale with bandwidth 
that that Atheros chipset.  For example, 40MHz channels rarely hit their 
theoretical maximum due to a variety of factors, noise, lower s/n, processor 
limitations, etc...  Second, 20MHz channels seem to be the sweet spot but even 
with GPS sync, you have to deal with reflections.  Third, 10MHz channels have 
more overhead as a percentage of total capacity and don't handle a lot of users 
well (above 40 for example with the older 400MHz chipsets. I'm starting to 
deploy XW radios with the 520MHz processors but everything is 20MHz now so I 
don't have a comparison).  We did see peaks of 32Mbps with some customers on 
10MHz channels but that's non-peak times.  In peak times, we were seeing 8Mbps 
when more users were online.

Rory


-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>] On Behalf 
Of Craig House
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2015 5:20 PM
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz

We have deployed 6 towers to begin our new EPMP network and 4 of those towers 
have a full cluster of 2.4 90 degree EPMP sectors.  They are configured with 
ACS turned off now because in several cases they all ended up on the same or 
very close to the same channel.  I have Front back designations and non 
overlapping channels set up on all towers.  I have tried 40 mhz 20 mhz and now 
10mhz channels and while the customer stability has gotten better the more I 
play with settings I have kind of hit a point I dont know what else to try.  I 
have some that the uplink quality will vary wildly from 100% to 0%.  Most have 
gotten better since I went to a 10mhz channel.  Most of the customers get 12MB 
-30mb down in the wireless link test but the uplinks are as bad as .17.   What 
is the cause of this poor uplink quality?  Is it interfernece?  My one 5ghz AP 
does not have this problem but even with noise many of these customers have -50 
signals and oddly enough the ones with the great signals seem to be the ones 
that have the poorest link tests on the up link side.  I also have customes 
with -65 or -72 signals that get 5MB up on the same sectors?  Im scratching my 
head a bit on what the fix is for this?  Should I leave ACS on and change 
everything to 10mhz channels?  Will a full cluster with ACS on work all on the 
same channel?
I'm used to FSK where you pick your channel and any channels that are adjacent 
will cause problems with connected SM's.  So am I just applying old knowledge 
to a technology that it doesn't apply to?

Craig




Reply via email to