From: "Nate Burke" <n...@blastcomm.com>
To: "Animal Farm" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:49:14 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] Indoor GPON - Why?

We just had a new public library built here in town. The entire LAN
infrastructure is built on PON using the Tellabs ONT's.
http://www01.tellabs.com/products/tellabs1100ont.shtml I've briefly
looked around their site, and read some case studies, but Why would you
choose PON infrastructure in a single building? From what I can tell,
you still have to run CAT 5 to the ONT for power, and the 4 port units
(which I saw several around the library) have a wall-wort and a power
switch. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the concept, other
than someone make a slick presentation, and someone else got a nice
payoff. I wouldn't be surprised of the Latter, every single 120v outlet
in the building is a 20A duplex receptacle with USB Ports (~$30 each)