That loop most definitely can break... fairly easily, but it's fine as long
as you don't torque it down too much.

It didn't seem to me like it would work very well to let it sit against the
ground screw that's there, but if you just take it out (it does have a hex
head) and replace it with a flat head screw it should sit nice and flat.