From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Brian Webster
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:22 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] NED vs SRTM

NED is the national elevation dataset and is based on actual ground elevation
data and digitized topo maps.

SRTM is a combination of RADAR and LIDAR data from the shuttle missions. They
do not reflect actual ground elevation, they are a processed echo return of
whatever radar and LIDAR returns that were received on the shuttle.

The source of the data should also be known as to the resolution. SRTM data was
published at 30 meter resolution meaning the hard data points are spaced at 30
meter intervals. NED data is available in various resolutions the most common
nationwide being 1/3 arc second or 10 meter resolution or actual data points
every 10 meters. This produces a much more accurate terrain model which in turn
creates much more accurate RF propagation information.

I have attached a real rough paper with images that illustrate the various
differences in terrain data and resolution.

Thank You,
Brian Webster
www.wirelessmapping.com
www.Broadband-Mapping.com