The problem with trying to extract clutter height from the SRTM data is that
you probably will only get about the 70 percentile or so of the real heights
(this depends on the density of the clutter in any particular area). Remember
the SRTM data relied on the RADAR and LIDAR echo returns to establish height.
It had to hit clutter/tree density that was enough to create that echo return,
tops of trees are not usually dense enough so trying to extract between the two
sets has proven to not be accurate enough. Believe me I spent a lot of time
trying that process. I have another paper that I will send you where I went
through that drill. Also relying on that data at 30 meter resolution to compare
to the 10 meter resolution NED data will have you using the SRTM data that has
a lot of assumed interpolated height values. With closer spaced actual data at
10 meter spacing there is much less interpolation and a lot less terrain
averaging. This becomes quite critical in areas where your terrain heights
change over short distances of which you have a lot of here in NY.

If you are worried about tree clutter in the microwave path the 30 meter
resolution data available for clutter in Radio Mobile is more than accurate
enough provided you don't use the latest vintage version that is available for
download. I have found problems with that data set as compared to the next
oldest set. I rely on the older version and as it compares to aerial imagery it
proves to be more accurate.

NED data gets you the actual ground elevations you should use for path and RF
studies. If you use SRTM the ground elevation is putting your transmitter at a
ground elevation that is inflated by the height of the clutter if there is any
in the area. This also creates a false path study because areas of clutter
along the path that have clutter are also raised showing as hard terrain which
is not the case especially as tools calculate the Fresnel Zone clearances.

Use the NED data sets and for clutter use clutter files and adjust the heights
of the clutter classes for the typical values in your area. Typical tree
clutter in this part of NY are 75 to 80 feet in height.

Thank You,
Brian Webster
www.wirelessmapping.com
www.Broadband-Mapping.com