I kinda get the impression that magento is good if  you have the time to do
the care and feeding.  I just found the integration time to be painful, and
Debbie couldn't figure out basic things.   But if I was launching a high
volume site, I'd be running Magento or WooCommerce.   For me, I just want
something I don't have to deal with.  Or more accurately, I don't have to
pay someone lots of money to deal with.

One thing to think about is also how many of the cool tools out there each
integrate with.  For instance, bigcommerce integrates with lots and lots of
apps...   see https://www.bigcommerce.com/apps/

I find that what is useful is to look around at other third party tools and
see which ecommerce platforms are best supported.   For instance:

Shipstation (Shipping):  http://www.shipstation.com/partners/
Zendesk (Support): https://www.zendesk.com/apps/
Zapier (Very cool data moving tool): https://zapier.com/zapbook/
   Note:  if it connects to zapier, it connects to everything that zapier
talks to