  From: Ken Hohhof
  To: af@afmug.com
  Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 9:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT eCommerce

  There are some places I shop exclusively using their online stores, like
McMaster, Allied and Tessco.  With Tessco you need to click “Confirm Price” at
checkout which also checks availability.  I have never had any of these
companies screw up an order.  Mouser, Newark, DigiKey as well, they are all
very reliable and have good online ordering.  McMaster takes the cake though, I
think they have the world’s best online store.

  Baltic I usually order online but if I need it next day I have found to check
if it shows “pick up at will call” as a shipping option, if not, then “in
stock” probably means drop ship from somewhere else like Streakwave or Primus.

  I have never had Jon at Streakwave (Ohio) or Mark at WAV mess up an order or
tell me something was in stock that wasn’t.  But I email or call them.  It’s
quick and easy.  I think we all face the issue that you spend an entire week of
days in the field and can’t order parts until bedtime when places are closed
and an online store with accurate stock status is a great thing.  But I can
also shoot an email to Jon or Mark, go to bed, and check my email the next
morning or they will call me.

  What I really hate are the places that want you to sign the quote and FAX it
back with a credit card authorization.  Actually they don’t bother me anymore
because if there are any left like that, I just don’t buy stuff from them.  It
used to be common practice.

  Two places I shop less than I used to are Newegg and Amazon.  I don’t know
what happened to Newegg, I think they have really gone downhill.  One place I
do buy from that I used to steer clear of is Tiger Direct, they used to be an
outlet store, but they are pretty mainstream now.

  At Amazon, I don’t buy a lot of stuff from third party sellers unless it says
fulfilled by Amazon.  Even then, a lot of stock is comingled, and there is a
risk of getting grey market goods or outright knockoffs.  I’ve had Amazon do
stupid stuff.  Like one time I ordered 10 surge strips, and it turned they had
quantity=1 at each of their warehouses, so the UPS guy literally delivered 10
Amazon boxes each with one surge strip in it.  Now I order surge strips from
Tiger Direct.  Also one time I was having trouble finding Bishop/Plymouth butyl
mastic tape and Amazon had some, when it came it was not Bishop at all, it was
a Chinese knockoff.  Returning it was easy, but it shouldn’t have happened.