Not saying you are wrong but the flipside is this

You are missing out on a revenue stream.  $5 a router for a service could net
you $500 a month for each $100 customers.  If they want to do port forwarding
charge them a change fee or tell them they have to get their own router. It’s
so amazing to be able to log into a customer router and say “I see the laptop
you are having issues with is a -81.  Where is it?” and the customer tells you
it’s in the basement.  Problem solved.

I agree with some of the other threads.  Selling a router is a blackhole of
despair.  This is why Comcast doesn’t sell routers, but will “rent” you one.

If you don’t want to deal with routers of any kind make friends with a local IT
shop and do some training with them on Mikrotik.  Come up with a script they
can paste in to any router they buy. You can then tell your customer the only
supported router is available from XYZ IT company down the road.  Anything else
will work, you just won’t troubleshoot.   We put this into practice on
ZigWireless and it worked fairly well.  The IT guy was happy because it brought
him walk-in business.  We still had access to the router when necessary.

Justin Wilson
j...@mtin.net

---
http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth

http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman
Internet Exchange - Peering - Distributed Fabric