They charge you $10/mo immediately if you refuse the install. Customers are not going to pay that. Shielding them does no good when there are dozens or a hundred more all around the customers you're trying to serve.

They committed to some millions of GE 900 FHSS meters, of course made in GE factories in China. The cost of the meter doubles to go licensed, or so they say, so there's no way in hell they will be changing over to licensed now.

Hey, I'm all for smart grid and all that crap. If they can see precisely where outages are, good. That means they'll get shit fixed faster, right? The pessimist in me says, yeah OK, I'm sure they'll get right on that.