I know I'm late to this thread. The only smart meter system in this area is a polling system. The meter reader just drives down the street while his truck transmits a polling message, which the meters then reply to. The meters only speak when spoken too, so we never really had a problem with those. There's still a huge labor savings for the power company, and apparently it was a lot cheaper than deploying the mesh system from the same manufacturer.

What I infer from these threads is the effect of this smart meter stuff is heavily dependent on what equipment the power company bought, how it's deployed, and how it's configured. So yeah, YMMV is the only real answer.