Regarding the power company ... I think our attitude toward infrastructure has
changed over the past 25 years or so.  Things like wires and poles and roads
and bridges used to be viewed as valuable assets and sources of revenue, so you
took care of them, did preventative maintenance, etc.  Now it seems they are
just legacy money pits, you fix them only when they fall down, and then do the
minimal repair possible.

In the case of POTS and DSL, it’s even worse, you don’t even fix them when the
break.  Sorry, there’s water in the cables.  Sorry, you’re at the end of the
line, and it’s not worth it to fix the cable cut.  Sorry, we’re out of ports.
Sorry, we’re not really out of ports, we just don’t want to sell it to you.

Maybe it’s partly due to the change from rate of return to price cap regulation
of utilities.

During our recent widespread power outages, as I drove the country roads
looking to see if there were crews working on repairs, some of the wires up on
the poles had 20 to 50 of those butt splices per mile from previous breaks.  If
anyone ever deploys fiber, I hope they don’t string it on the poles.  And if
they bury it, don’t even think about pedestals on the side of the road.  Most
of the phone company pedestals are all busted up or covered with trash bags.

Sometimes it seems we’re in one of those post-apocalyptic dystopian movies with
broken down technology from a previous civilization.

Oh, and ... Happy New Year!