Can you *see* the butt splices?  Aren't they in enclosures?

On 1/1/2016 10:24 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
Regarding the power company ... I think our attitude toward infrastructure has changed over the past 25 years or so. Things like wires and poles and roads and bridges used to be viewed as valuable assets and sources of revenue, so you took care of them, did preventative maintenance, etc. Now it seems they are just legacy money pits, you fix them only when they fall down, and then do the minimal repair possible. In the case of POTS and DSL, it’s even worse, you don’t even fix them when the break. Sorry, there’s water in the cables. Sorry, you’re at the end of the line, and it’s not worth it to fix the cable cut. Sorry, we’re out of ports. Sorry, we’re not really out of ports, we just don’t want to sell it to you. Maybe it’s partly due to the change from rate of return to price cap regulation of utilities. During our recent widespread power outages, as I drove the country roads looking to see if there were crews working on repairs, some of the wires up on the poles had 20 to 50 of those butt splices per mile from previous breaks. If anyone ever deploys fiber, I hope they don’t string it on the poles. And if they bury it, don’t even think about pedestals on the side of the road. Most of the phone company pedestals are all busted up or covered with trash bags. Sometimes it seems we’re in one of those post-apocalyptic dystopian movies with broken down technology from a previous civilization.
Oh, and ... Happy New Year!
*From:* George Skorup <mailto:geo...@cbcast.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 29, 2015 11:15 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] WISP insurance
For about a month at one site during the summer (maybe last year, I don't remember, too much shit in my head), we got a bunch of popped fuses and surge suppressors. Our local 911 dispatch joined the site months before and we didn't have any problems. We finally figured out that the grounding sorta got split. Everything was still interconnected, just not optimally. So we all made sure that everything was tied to a single point, aka R56. No more issues. We do still get some popped fuses once in a while, but that's mostly Chuck's surge suppressors clamping on nearby lightning strikes. I'd rather have that than dead or degraded ethernet ports.

It was also a very wet spring and then things dried out. We've noticed this pattern for >10 years. If the soil is pretty dry for a lot of the year, we lose more gear. Which brings up another point. Up to a couple years ago, we had a site where we'd lose everything 2-3 times per year. The power company came out and ran a load test at our transformer. 20A is all it would do. The ground rod at the pole/transformer was almost completely gone. I think they said there was maybe 2 feet left and they pulled it out by hand. Of course it was probably 40 years old.