A call center will never be as good at tech support as your own staff will be. They can help people reboot, and they can follow whatever troubleshooting steps you give them to follow. They can do basic billing and sales stuff as long as you give them the information they need to do that. You can't expect them to figure out anything that would require knowledge of your network, and to be frank I would try to keep your expectations as low as possible. Write them a troubleshooting guide as if you were writing it for an idiot.....be specific and clear and provide pictures.

Also, if you have any high value business accounts, make sure to account for that somehow. Your enterprise customers will get riled up if the call center tries to walk them through rebooting their equipment, which happens to be a licensed backhaul and Cisco router. Even more so once they figure out that the only thing the call center can do for them is open a ticket that you won't see until the morning. One way to address that is make the first step in the troubleshooting guide: "look at one of their monthly invoices, if it's greater than $500 then stop here and call our cell phones until we wake up".

All that said, it's better to have a warm body on the phone who can shield you from dumb problems. If nothing else, pay them per incident and only send them the overnight calls.

On 2/4/2016 12:23 AM, That One Guy /sarcasm wrote:
interesting, i anticipated lower level tech, more sales. sounds even better with actual tech support

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:

    I’m trying to imagine having the phones covered 24/7 for awhile
    and then taking it away after the night owls and lonely hearts get
    used to being able to call in the middle of the night.  Call
    center support must be a one-way street, you can’t go back.
    Because customers can accept being treated like dirt, but don’t
    ever give them something nice and then try to take it back.
    *From:* Jeremy <mailto:jeremysmi...@gmail.com>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, February 03, 2016 10:54 PM
    *To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Call center pricing
    Yep, $24K a year.  They will do some basic sales, but you have to
    realize that these are tech support guys...they aren't really
    salesmen.  They are willing to answer some questions, and will
    schedule an install when someone calls in and says "I want to be
    installed on X day"...but when the customer needs to 'be sold'
    don't expect any big numbers.
    Still, when you add it up.  1,000 customers at $2,000 a
    month...you will never hire ONE employee at minimum wage to answer
    your calls at that rate.  Not to mention that employee will only
    work 8 hours a day. This route, you end up with a call center that
    has 15 or 20 techs that can take calls simultaneously, and it runs
    24 hours.  If you can't tell I've already sold myself and am
    working on switching right now.
    On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:11 PM, That One Guy /sarcasm