Brian puts it quite well (as always).  As a tower climber I have been around
hams for many years.  Many WISPs I know were started by HAMS.  The spirit of
making an network goes along with much of the HAM philosophy.

It’s like anything.  I know “gun guys” who are pompous and arrogant.  I know
“Toy collectors” who are pompous and arrogant.   They can be your best customer
and your most annoying at the same time.

One of the biggest advantage a WISP can gain from a HAM or a club is they can
help you get on towers you might not be able to.  I have seen many times, just
because the introduction came from a HAM, the city was now willing to work with
someone when they weren’t before.   Plus, many of them have towers as well.
More and more linked systems are needing Internet so they are another client to
sell to.  Even if that selling is a trade.

What we have done in the past is put a mikrotik in as their router and simply
graph the connection for a few days.  Then you can see how much bandwidth they
actually use and actually show them. When we put the first DMR repeater online
we were told it needed a 3x1 connection.  Even on busy nights it barely breaks
a 512k sweat.

Justin Wilson
j...@mtin.net

---
http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth

http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman