OK, the main take-away seems that have wanted to be a hairdresser since you
were five...

From: That One Guy /sarcasm
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:42 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Ot buying a salon

That was the 3-5 year plan, her build the clientele, which is going swimmingly,
and we learn the business, which I have been, but neither component are at the
point of venturing out new, that's the then.

And yes, women are very much married to their beautician, more so than their
husbands.

I guess I wasn't clear, the current daughter owner doesn't want to exit, even
if there is a full purchase, other than losing her baby, as it were, she very
much wants to stay on, and she has a client base, I suspect many off the books,
and the other full time chair wants to stay as well. I know she has a lot of
off the books clients. The off the books would be addressed, that's also a
lawyer liability discussion regarding the potential skeletons. As bad as that
does sound, I can't go into the details due to time (it would be a book) it's a
manageable issue, because I knew about it and when I brought up the issue,
there was no deception, it was kind of like office pilfering, only it was
accounted for by both on personal tax returns so assuming the lawyer reviews
and signs off on it as not being a liability then it's a quiet benefit if the
lawyer red flags it, it's a show stopper. But there is a decent amount of
clientele is the point.

The daughter owner to clarify, has been in the industry for over twenty years,
six of her people have moved on to start their own salons under agreeable
circumstances, I'm good friends with one of them, and have verified the
reputation hit is not irreparable if the internal issues resolved. Benefit of
small town living.

A major component of the breakdown is that a mom and daughter went into
business without a very clear and detailed business arrangement. The mother
funded, the daughter worked, and nobody talked to one another. I've been doing
work for the mother for ten years, so I'm more privy to the finer details of
the situation than most potential "investors" would be. I've also been thinking
about and looking at various aspects of the salon industry since I was 5 and
accompanied my mom at night to clean on regularly at night, they always had a
dish of hard candies, so obviously they're a magical place. That and the fact
it's a loose cash industry that has little legitimate value as a neccesary
service but women would sooner skip a rent payment than miss a nail
appointment, it's crack for the housewife.
About 8 years ahoy when I saw a purse for 42 bucks that I know cost ten in the
purse bin that they can't keep full at my friends salon, I realised there is
potential. I actually had looked into ad driven WiFi hotspots attached to
vending machines that dispensed small retail electronics as a neat idea to
approach salons with until I priced industrial vending machines.

I don't see salon ownership outside of franchising as a get rich quick or at
all thing, but I do see it as a good residual income to adjunct another income.
This particular scenario actually is ideal because the particular arrangement
allows me to maintain my current job since I can't legally do much of anything
in the salon beyond running a broom. It also solves a long term conundrum I've
had regarding alternatives to my current job in that I can go out on my own as
a simpleminded it contractor and match my current income and pay rent, but not
insure my family, the location and available space within is a good brick and
mortar, and a lot of the salon client base at this particular salon is my
target market, the small to tiny business and wives of business owners who
wouldn't violate my current non enforceable no compete. Plus I've been building
my role into something that can be outsourced for the last three years, leaving
the opportunity to have cake and eat cake til it goes stale and molds.

I am rambling about all this because of the request for advice from experience,
like I said, not to be argumentative, but to hear why my grand ideas are
destined for failure, that's not sarcasm, it's a much less expensive way to
find out than just doing it the hard way and ending up living under a bridge in
my minivan feeding my family whatever scraps I can muster from the dumpster
behind McDonalds.