I have extensive experience in public safety systems. Used to design, sell and
build them when I worked for a Motorola MSS, I was also a 911 dispatcher. In
addition I worked for years (and continue to) in the public safety systems as
the county RACES officer and am part of the county EOC staff. I also sat on our
county telecommunications committee as a volunteer, having helped work through
the fire and public safety radio system upgrades and evaluated the consulting
company that worked on the system I feel a decent amount of qualification to
speak. Over 25 years in these arenas have given me a lot of real world
experiences from all sides of the issue (not to mention 20 plus years military
experience from the reserves). I still consult with the chairman of our county
board on these issues.

One of the things that I find from the public safety personnel is that much of
their knowledge comes from learning from their vendors. Not many are true
communications enthusiasts and eat live and breathe the stuff like most of us
do. If the vendor/shop they rely on and trust, is not pro-amateur radio the
public safety person typically is not. If the vendor/shop is, the public safety
agency tends to embrace things through amateur radio more. The success or
failure of amateur radio implementation in any community, is in most cases
personality and trust related when it comes to the emergency management staff
knowing who those amateur radio operators are, and if they like/trust those
people to do a good job, and that they will stay within their role and purpose
and if they keep from doing anything that would embarrass any government
officials.

With regards to trying something for free, I have heard the elected officials
balk at that believe it or not. They would rather have a company they can sue
and/or point fingers at when something goes wrong. Case in point locally, when
my county wanted to evaluate their systems and have recommendations made for
system improvements and upgrades, they scoffed at my offering to do it free (I
am a taxpayer, parent and at the time a firefighter). The county attorney said
we can’t do that because they wanted someone to be able to shoulder liability.
In a litigious society things like this happen. Those old sayings like nobody
ever got fired for hiring IBM or nobody ever got fired for buying CISCO still
ring true.

Lewis, you bring up a good point about people who get paid to do things. My
take on that is that too many WISP’s have never put a true dollar value on
their time in relation to a per hour value. When a startup is broke and cash is
scarce but time is plentiful, they do things for themselves thinking it’s a
good thing because they didn’t have to spend money doing the task at hand. That
works in the beginning but over time there are too many things one person must
do in a day to get them all done. Too often I find that WISP’s don’t do a true
evaluation of what might be cheaper to hire out and what they can do themselves
to save the company money or have the necessary skill sets to do so. Coming
from a high concentration of Alpha Males types, this industry many times will
not do that honest evaluation. If for instance a WISP operator finds that their
time is really worth $60 per hour to the company (not unreasonable and in many
cases still too undervalued), they may find it cheaper to hire that electrician
at less than $60 per hour get that task done AND they still have time to get
the other important business tasks done to keep the company moving forward.
This also follows through to where a WISP will do the things they like to do
and ignore things that need to be done to grow their company. Marketing is a
great example of this, WISP’s will blow that off and chase service tickets
justifying to themselves that the ticket is an emergency and they need to keep
their customer happy. Truth is they can hire that work out cheaper and then
their can focus their efforts on marketing and increasing their customer counts
and revenue much faster. It’s so easy to stay in the trap of I can do it myself
and not spend any money, but rarely does anyone really look at the true amount
of time they spent on learning to do that task and what it would have cost to
just hire it out and spend on those hours on some other revenue producing thing
for the company.

A great exaggerated example would be, you don’t need to hire a lawyer to answer
to charges in a court, you have the right to self-represent and you can study
case law and the laws on your own and not spend the money to hire the lawyer.
Given enough time anyone could do that, but do you have the time before you
might have to sit in front of a judge and jury to do a good enough job to
defend yourself?

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com