I think you are confusing the result of solving the immigration issue with
solving it. I don't disagree with you. With our current welfare state, and
maybe without it, illegal immigration helps keep our standard of living as
high as it is for even the poor. My point was how to solve what many see as
a huge issue, not the impact of doing so.
On others escaping persecution, poverty, etc. Honestly, what about the
other hundreds of millions facing the same or worse circumstances? You
think their horrific circumstances negate a countries right to determine
its own immigration policy?

On drugs. You are correct. I have never used drugs. I think you may be
confused on my proposal though. I never said that the currently addicted
would be affected one way or the other by the severity of the punishment
proposed. Like it or not those people are lost until they choose not to be.
But others not so addicted would be affected and that progress could be
rapidly tracked by how many first time users are arrested and it would take
less than a year to see if harsh punishment was likely to make an eventual
impact.

Those ideas might be worthless, but no more so than what is currently in
place.