I have typically ran across the terms “Franchise rights” and “Riser rights” when it comes to buildings.
If you have franchise rights you are the only one with rights to provide your product to that building. Riser rights just gives you access to to raceways, risers, etc. for running your cable. You could get exclusive access to such things, but I don’t see that as often as franchise rights. I think this is mainly due to a franchise fee is typically higher and more beneficial to the building owner. A telco can cry foul and play the fact that telephones are an essential service. Even if they can’t legally do anything, they can pressure the building owner enough where it becomes an issue. I have seen tenants want to order landline phones in buildings where a WISP had exclusive rights. The tenant is going to be favored by the building owner almost every time. My advice get exclusive access to any pathways for cable in regards to your services with the ability to sublet. If you can get it, get an exclusive franchise for providing data services. Justin Wilson [email protected] --- http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth http://www.midwest-ix.com COO/Chairman Internet Exchange - Peering - Distributed Fabric > On Aug 28, 2016, at 10:26 AM, Paul McCall <[email protected]> wrote: > > I know that has been discussed several times in the past, but I recall a few > variables so I will re-ask the question. > > If our company goes into a building and wires (either pre-construction of > post construction), will a contract legally cover us so that nobody else can > come around and claim rights to use that to distribute a service also? > > Does that “ruling” change it we install conduit as well? > > We have a bunch buildings to get “wired” over the next 60 days and I want to > protect ourselves if at all possible. > > Paul > > Paul McCall, President > PDMNet, Inc. / Florida Broadband, Inc. > 658 Old Dixie Highway > Vero Beach, FL 32962 > 772-564-6800 > [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > www.pdmnet.com <http://www.pdmnet.com/> > www.floridabroadband.com <http://www.floridabroadband.com/>
