Given the budget constraint, torch (yeah it's realtime only) might be
all you've got without a lot of work.
If your CPE are SNMP aware, then you could poll for usage on everybody's
interfaces every 10 minutes and store that in a database. Then create a
web form for yourself to query the database based on CPE MAC address and
a specified time frame. That would take zero cash, but either a very
little or very lot of your time depending on your coding skill. I think
on UBNT you would have to query each CPE directly, and on Canopy you
could either query the CPE or you can query just the AP's and get the
bytes transferred for each LUID.
------ Original Message ------
From: "That One Guy /sarcasm" <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: 9/15/2016 10:45:46 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] documenting customer usage
lol, for my requested purpose other than dpi, i dont think the mutli
10k solution we were quoted was it.
not being a jerk, but if the unit is on your network, how does it
mitigate a ddos? will it speak with my upstream that doesnt support
blackholes with bgp?
is it working with powercode again since it broke operations with
powercode?
will they provide me a document that says theyre legal with the whole
"open internet" nonsense
I really liked them, til we priced them. We invested with netenforcer
some time ago, it was great at the time because p2p was so destructive
to a network at the time, but once we moved bandidth beyond a couple
T1s they decided we needed a good old fashioned no spit raping. I say
the same structure in procera... then the powercode break happenned,
and I didnt care if it got resolved, it broke.
I can toss a sniifer on or dump a mirrored port. I think I may have
indicated I care more than I do. I was primarily asking if my current
environment had a tool that consiststed of this much work: what IP are
you curious about? (I input the IP, maybe click my mouse less than 10
times and key in less than ten more digits) and i come bak and have a
torchish output saying what happenned.
if it doesnt stay within that simple of a solution with the gear I
have, I dont really care to give the ten percent who arent dicks any
different answer than the 90 who are
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
wrote:
Huh?
DPI? QoS? DDOS Protection? CGNAT? Customer Support Tools?
You talk a lot about a product it doesn't seem like you've ever used.
On Sep 15, 2016 8:42 PM, "That One Guy /sarcasm"
<[email protected]> wrote:
yeah, crazy thing about that, not looking to drop multiple 10ks at
once to have a nice guy on a product that quits working with the
management system and is questionably legal beyond monitoring :-)
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
wrote:
Procera :P
On Sep 15, 2016 8:36 PM, "That One Guy /sarcasm"
<[email protected]> wrote:
so we got this:
"Can yotu help us somehow figure out what is using all of our data?
We have looked at the daily usage and can not figure it out. There
are days that we have been gone for several hours and the usage is
VERY high. Then days we are home have been extremely low. We are at
a loss; can you help us or recommend someone who can. Is there a
way to break this down hourly? Thanks!
--"
this is the one in ten request, the other 9 are normally "we didnt
do this you people are lying,we never use the internet, our kids
follow rules, youre cheating us" in a real catty voice
screw those 9 douches, its usually one of the spouses porn
affliction, the kids game console. or the fact they leave 5 units
running in the house with netflix on autoplay, if theyre not
illegally torrenting some shit.
but, there is the one, who arent cocks, they genuinely want to
know. We arent providing them a router, so monitoring from there
directly is out
we just recently moved DNS to us (huge value I have already found)
So whats the best way (to the account, not the individual machine)
to track this down, in our environment, We have mikrotik 1100ahx2
from to AP to the edge, and for the firs time, I actually want to
set up a tool to help the 10 percent and if you guys who know more
than me can spit out a script to drop in to monitor this customer I
can pretend I have value within th company. .
If you only see yourself as part of the team but you don't see your
team as part of yourself you have already failed as part of the
team.
--
If you only see yourself as part of the team but you don't see your
team as part of yourself you have already failed as part of the team.
--
If you only see yourself as part of the team but you don't see your
team as part of yourself you have already failed as part of the team.