I don't know what all vendors use for their defaults, but one of the simplest things you can do to help stabilize RSTP is to be intentional about which device is the root bridge (i.e. closest switch/bridge to traffic egress/ingress or core or what ever you define as the "root"). Make sure that device has the lowest priority so that all other bridges are working to have the best path to that device. if you want traffic in a bridged network to flow a specific way, you can influence that with RSTP path cost. None of this replaces routing (ducks), but it's better than leaving them all at default priority and letting them elect the root.

Jesse DuPont

Network Architect
email: jesse.dup...@celeritycorp.net
Celerity Networks LLC

Celerity Broadband LLC
Like us! facebook.com/celeritynetworksllc

Like us! facebook.com/celeritybroadband