I always assumed it's about oversubscription ratios and problematic
connections. This way the 256 to 512 they can skirt by on will most likely
always be there. I would beat that dealing with issues on 3/1 dsl that's
more a 768/512 has led them to just blanket demand more. Same thing with
them saying no wireless isps, they've dealt with too many fly by night
outfits who run shitty networks. That's the reason we tell our home workers
just not to tell their it it's wireless and they'll never know. Same
concept of software vendors that won't offer support if they know it's in a
vm