I'm sure part of it is because the terrain is extremely tough. Slopes of 100%, and lots of trees. I have no clue how they did the original survey in 1970. Today, you can GPS almost any point you want/need.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 11/27/2016 10:49 AM, Chuck McCown wrote:
Oh, OK, yeah, totally forget geocodes when doing metes and bounds. All the datum conversions etc prove to be worthless when trying to be very precise. And most section lines are not true NWES and most section lines are not one mile either. Sometimes you luck out with an exact mile lying on one of the ordinate directions but that is infrequent.

You have to use physical monuments and the DMS lines of the metes and bounds. Frequently they are in that old "N 12 deg 3 min 2 sec E" format. I just go through and convert all the angles to Cartesian angles first and then start laying down lines in the drafting program. Or in google earth. You can describe a line/path with a bearing and distance in GE.

-----Original Message----- From: Bill Prince
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:35 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Converting vectors to a shape (.SHP) file?

The easement starts at the eastern boundary of the quarter section
(which is not true north south; a little over 8° east). According to the
description it is supposed to be on that line at a certain distance from
the corner.

When I drew it on GE, I just measured that distance on that line, and it
actually comes out 35' north of where the road actually got laid. No big
deal, the easement is 60' wide, so it mostly fits.

However, when I used this tool to get a lat/lon, the point is about 12'
to the east of the point I measured. Now I know that drawing something
like this in GE is somewhat error prone, but I did not expect it to be
this far off.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>