From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Josh Reynolds
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2016 11:40 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] explain Twitch

Fun, fame, and profit.

Some of these YouTube streamers bring in over 150k a year in advertising
revenue. Most of these are young kids (preteen), some actually teenagers.

Twitch streamers can bring in several hundreds of thousands a year in stream
donations.

My oldest (17/m) doesn't watch traditional TV. He's unfamiliar, largely, with
commercials. Sports on TV? No way. He watches Hulu, Netflix, but mainly
YouTube/twitch.

There's a new eSports bar going up here in KC. I bet they end up with more net
profit in the first year than the local Buffalo Wild Wings. Mix of bar w/ pub
food, TVs streaming games/championships, and actual PCs/gaming (half-hourly
charges).

On Dec 4, 2016 10:39 AM, "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>
> wrote:

I was born without the gaming gene, so can someone explain Twitch to me?

I have a customer spending a lot of money (now that harvest is over) for a
speed tier with 5 Mbps of upstream so he can broadcast.  Which I see he does
for 12 hours straight.

What is the appeal?  Fun?  Fame?  Or profit?  Does this bring in advertising
money?  Enough to make it worthwhile?

And how does someone stream their game play for 12 hours straight?  Astronaut
diapers?  Lots of Mountain Dew and Doritos?  Or do they get breaks?