My house used to run purely on Control4 system .. professionally installed and
quite expensive.  I got sick of $125 service calls for rather simple stuff to
be done and decided to replace it with a DYI system…. The Control4 system with
labour and service calls etc set me back around $25k in total.

Right now with the DYI system I have probably $4k invested plus my time … at
most.  Zero monthly subscription, zero headaches …. And no service calls.

The one part though that I think a lot of folks overlook (as I did) is working
with electrical in your house … I replaced outlets and switches for example and
the zwave stuff I used is much deeper than normal switches – I wish now that I
had just hired an electrician to mess around with that stuff in particular as
it’s not something I do every day kind of thing ….

I know someone in my area that does home automation for a living … done it for
years.  He is very busy … his main clients are folks who have cottages and wish
to remotely control/monitor their properties especially during times they are
not visiting it very much …

Paul