What he said...

From: Tushar Patel
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 6:40 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: Home automation

Do you have part list you used you can share?
You mentioned Zwave. What else?

Tushar

On Jan 8, 2017, at 5:58 AM, Paul Stewart <p...@paulstewart.org> wrote:

  My house used to run purely on Control4 system .. professionally installed
and quite expensive.  I got sick of $125 service calls for rather simple stuff
to be done and decided to replace it with a DYI system…. The Control4 system
with labour and service calls etc set me back around $25k in total.

  Right now with the DYI system I have probably $4k invested plus my time … at
most.  Zero monthly subscription, zero headaches …. And no service calls.

  The one part though that I think a lot of folks overlook (as I did) is
working with electrical in your house … I replaced outlets and switches for
example and the zwave stuff I used is much deeper than normal switches – I wish
now that I had just hired an electrician to mess around with that stuff in
particular as it’s not something I do every day kind of thing ….

  I know someone in my area that does home automation for a living … done it
for years.  He is very busy … his main clients are folks who have cottages and
wish to remotely control/monitor their properties especially during times they
are not visiting it very much …

  Paul