I haven't used DACs, but just looking at the cost seems logical for intra or inter-rack x-connect. 10G-SR modules from FiberStore run $16/ea. Or if you want to stay single-mode, a 2km 10G module is $34. All the while, 0.5-3m 10G DACs are $10-15 and that's all you need to link up two SFP+ slots obviously within a few feet of each other. OTOH, I always want optical hand-off from an upstream. If it's at a tower site, and all of ours are, I don't want a surge/lightning strike on our gear to take out the carrier's switch.

On 1/15/2017 7:02 PM, Jason McKemie wrote:
What's the purpose? Seems like it would pretty much always be better to just use fiber...

On Sunday, January 15, 2017, Josh Reynolds <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Fuck DACs. Snake oil bullshit.

    /end rant

    10GHz 100ohm

    On Jan 15, 2017 4:59 PM, "Jon Langeler" <[email protected]
    <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[email protected]');>> wrote:

        What frequency do these cables operate at? Same as Ethernet?

        Jon Langeler
        Michwave Technologies, Inc.



Reply via email to