The ones I've used are thinner than ToughCable, probably thinner than the cat6 I used in my house. Maybe not much thicker than a sturdy USB cord.
----- Mike Hammett Intelligent Computing Solutions Midwest Internet Exchange The Brothers WISP ----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Reynolds" <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 8:17:03 PM Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Direct attach sfp cables? They are also thicker than the cat6a I had, with less flexibility :( On Jan 15, 2017 8:00 PM, "Josh Baird" < [email protected] > wrote: Maybe you need better cable management or you are using super thick DACs? They are obviously going to be thicker than individual strands of fiber. We regularly terminate 2 racks of dual homed servers in one cabinet using nothing but DACs. On Jan 15, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Josh Reynolds < [email protected] > wrote: <blockquote> Yes they are cheap, but they have less of a bend radius than modern fiber, they don't provide electrical isolation, and they are an absolute bitch when it comes to cable management. I thought it would be a great idea to put a couple hundred DAC'd ports in a rack. Terrible idea. Never again. DACs you say? *Spits on ground* On Jan 15, 2017 7:46 PM, "Seth Mattinen" < [email protected] > wrote: <blockquote> On 1/15/17 5:02 PM, Jason McKemie wrote: <blockquote> What's the purpose? Seems like it would pretty much always be better to just use fiber... Super cost effective way to connect a rack full of servers to a TOR 10G switch. ~Seth </blockquote> </blockquote> </blockquote>
