I didn’t know this was a thing.  I interpreted the question as fiber....
Using SFP and a fiber “cable” is an excellent thing to run up a tower.  

Have never seen these DACs.

From: Josh Reynolds 
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:17 PM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Direct attach sfp cables?

They are also thicker than the cat6a I had, with less flexibility :( 


On Jan 15, 2017 8:00 PM, "Josh Baird" <[email protected]> wrote:

  Maybe you need better cable management or you are using super thick DACs?  
They are obviously going to be thicker than individual strands of fiber.

  We regularly terminate 2 racks of dual homed servers in one cabinet using 
nothing but DACs.

  On Jan 15, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:


    Yes they are cheap, but they have less of a bend radius than modern fiber, 
they don't provide electrical isolation, and they are an absolute bitch when it 
comes to cable management. 

    I thought it would be a great idea to put a couple hundred DAC'd ports in a 
rack. Terrible idea. Never again.

    DACs you say? *Spits on ground*

    On Jan 15, 2017 7:46 PM, "Seth Mattinen" <[email protected]> wrote:

      On 1/15/17 5:02 PM, Jason McKemie wrote:

        What's the purpose? Seems like it would pretty much always be better to
        just use fiber...



      Super cost effective way to connect a rack full of servers to a TOR 10G 
switch.

      ~Seth

Reply via email to