I have a different perspective on this list....

I've been going to post something along this lines for a while, but since
it came up today, I guess it's as good of a time as any....

Back in the day none of us were quite sure what we were doing.   The need
for a technical list was great.   We needed to discuss how to use this
gear, what the new gear could do, etc..   Every day there was a new
challenge for many of us, which someone else on the list had probably
figured out.

Fast forward until now, For most of us, our networks have matured, or been
sold.  Many of our core members aren't even really WISP's anymore.   For
those who are still doing day to day operations, most of us have figured
out how things work for us, and we really don't need discussions about
network architecture and routing and the like.   Add to that the excellent
resources that WISPA provides in the form of conferences where people can
learn the technical skills they need, and technically-oriented mailing
lists which they host, and this list starts to look a bit redundant from a
technical-resource standpoint.

What this list has, which none of the others do, is a community of members
which have grown up together and seen each other grow businesses, sell
them, get rich, get sued, release products, survive tornadoes and other
natural disasters, and all of the other things which bring people together.

On all of the other lists, such off-topic discussions as what Travis is
investing in this week, and what Jaimie is cooking, and what movie Chuck is
watching, and the awesome ramblings of Steve and so on would be squashed.
Yet we're all friends and like to discuss things.  Yes, the politics have
gotten a bit out of control, but that's just a symptom that politics have
gotten a bit out of control in this country.

Personally, I see this list not as a technical resource, but a social
resource.   Somewhere where we all know each other and a lot of each
other's past history and drama.  So we talk more about everyday life and
less about work?  I don't see a problem with this.  Where else is this
going to occur?   I realize that this doesn't match the original vision for
this list, but needs change and lists change.   What we need is a place to
hang out and have conversations with our friends.  Why can't this list be
that resource?

-forrest

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>