Combine this policy with the newer explosion resistant baggage containers...

On 4/25/17 9:01 AM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
We've been remarkably politics free, and I want to keep it that way.  I
know the answer to what I'm about to ask could devolve toward that
direction.  I'd prefer we don't go down that path.

What I'm curious about is this:

The US is implementing various bans on electronics larger than a cell
phone being carried onboard the aircraft into the cabin.  Today it's
limited to a few countries, but it sounds like it's going to get
expanded greatly.  Note that this doesn't mean you can't take say a
laptop with you, but instead that it has to be checked so it's in the
luggage hold instead of accessible to you through the flight.

So the question I have is what threat this is supposed to eliminate?
The obvious concern is some sort of explosive making it's way into the
passenger cabin, but a wireless trigger for an explosive device is so
simple to rig nowadays that I don't think the physical separation of a
potential terrorist from their explosive is going to make a bit of
difference.

I can think of several other potential threats, but with the way that
they're implementing this ban, I sure can't see how any of them are
affected.   Especially since you can apparently carry your larger
electronics all of the way to the gate, then have them gate check them
to be returned to you airside at your destination.

Does anyone have any ideas what threat they might be trying to
eliminate?   Personally, I'm far more concerned about the risk of a
lithium battery fire in the cargo hold....

--
*Forrest Christian* /CEO//, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc./
forre...@imach.com