Well, until that happens, I think it's a pretty good option. It's going to be a pretty big technical hurdle for someone like DLink to offer a scalable VPN solution to hundreds of thousands of people, as well as convincing them to pay for it (and supporting it when something doesn't work right.)

You can get DPI today at a per-month cost with very little up front, I wouldn't worry too much about 'what ifs' in the future when there is a solution here today that doesn't require a big investment.