It's a possibility, sure. If you use DPI the right way, it would be a net negative for the customer to do that. Anyone implementing DPI as a punitive measure is doing it wrong. All the customer would get out of a whole house VPN is a return to Windows update filling their pipe, Xbox downloads increasing their gaming latency, etc.. and you're off the hook for support at that point.

It all really depends on if your perspective is to look for a solution to solve the problem, or a way to punish the customer. If you want to punish them, then they can certainly circumvent it fairly easily, and maybe there will be some easy way for them to buy something to do it. I'd argue it's totally the wrong approach though.